Copyright © Clan Cameron Museum Scotland
Welcome to the Clan Cameron Museum which was opened by Sir Fitzroy Maclean of Dunconnell in 1989.
The founding of the Museum was enthusiastically backed by the Clan worldwide who contributed generously and since that time we have been visited by clansfolk from all over the world and by many people interested in the history of the Highlands.
The Camerons have lived in Lochaber since the 14th century and the Museum traces the history of the Clan from its early beginnings to the present day, through 27 generations.
There is an extensive section on Bonnie Prince Charlie and the Jacobite risings of 1715 and 1745 in which the Camerons played a crucial part.
On display are artefacts, photographs and information about two famous regiments whose members continue to visit these historic training grounds:-
The 79th Cameron Highlanders, raised in 1793 by Major Alan Cameron of Erracht. They mustered in Fort William with volunteers coming mainly from Lochaber and North Argyll.
Commandos of many nationalities completed rigorous training at Achnacarry during WW2.